The Thessaloniki Acropolis lies in the northeastern and highest point of the city, just beyond Vlatadon Monastery and inside the northen wall of the city, which is in a relatively good state of preservation. Two big gates, the “portares”, lead inside the Acropolis which was the second line of defence in case of siege of the city. Next to the east gate as it leads outside the Acropolis, at the corner of the northen and eastern walls, the tower of Trigonio (or Pyrovolio) dominates and offers magnificient views of the city. This was the point from where the Turks invaded the city in 1430.
Another line of walling is located at the northen part of the Acropolis, and is called the Eptapyrgio (“Seven Towers”). This made up the last defence line should the enemy breach the outside fortress. It was built in the Venetian period (1423-1430) by the Venetians to resist the Turkish threat. The Eptapyrgio consists of a surrounding wall and seven towers inside of it. The middle tower, and the largest one, was built by Tsaous Bey, the first Turkish governor of the city. As a result, the Eptapyrgio was called in Turkish “Yedi Kule” (seven towers), a name that follows the monument up until today.
The Eptapyrgio housed the city’s prison from the end of the 18th century until 1988, and has now turned into a cultural center.
Thessaloniki Acropolis & Eptapyrgio Photogallery