State Museum of Contemporary Art is housed both in the northeast wing of the Moni Lazariston complex and, since the summer of 2001, in the Warehouse B1 located at the port of Thessaloniki (Thessaloniki Center of Contemporary Art – cact.gr).
The State Museum of Contemporary Art was founded in 1997 and has been steadily and dynamically developing, since then. Today, it is one of the most prominent foundations that hosts and projects works of modern and contemporary art, using planning tactics implemented in six basic thematic actions:
- the administration of the most significant Russian Avant-Garde Collection outside Russia, the Costakis Collection, by organizing original productions, co-productions and scientific research programmes in Greece and abroad,
- the record and promotion of the contemporary Greek art as well as the creation and support of common grounds for effective dialogue between Greek artists and artists from Europe and all over the world,
- the support of the synthesis of arts as well as the reinforcement of innovative and alternative artistic suggestions,
- the substantial cooperation and netting with cultural institutions in Greece, Europe and abroad,
- the usage of the most modern digital technologies in all its communication fields, the development of web applications as well as the creation of a web portal,
- the implementation of innovative educational programmes as well as access programmes for all social groups.